Owning pet is believed to provide mental and physical health benefits to human. In past various studies have shown health benefits such as decreased anxiety, improved immune response, decrease blood pressure, improved lipid profile (decrease cholesterol and triglyceride) , and increase involvement in social activities .But few studies also have documented non beneficial aspect of owning pet such as dog bites, spreading of disease, asthma and other allergies.
Recent survey showed pet owners is happier than non pet owner
Findings of survey were:
- Feeling of successful in life
- More income per year
- Well educated and good job profile
- More time spending in exercise.
- Interested in social activities including charity
- Less feel of loneliness
Some facts about pet:
- American spend whooping 50 billion per year on their pets
- More > 50 % Americans own dog or cat at home
- India has fastest growing dog population in world.
- The pet population in India has grown from 7 million in 2006 to 10 million in 2011. On an average 600,000 pets are adopted every year.
What you need to do to stay healthy while owning pets?
- Regular visit to veterinarian
- Healthy hygiene practices when around your pets so they don’t pass germs to you. To decrease the possibility of contracting a disease from pet, it is essential to wash hands with soap and water after petting, feeding, handling of animals, or their waste.
Image courtesy : Swapnil Dabholkar